The Economist has been around since 1843

The Economist-box-cutter.jpgThe Economist-climbing.jpgOgilvy & Mather Singapore has created a new print campaign for The Economist. The series features eight executions that play on the history and longevity of The Ecomomist.

Credits - Creative Directors: Juggi Ramakrishnan, Richard Copping. Art Drectors: Richard Copping, Anthony Tham. Copywriter: Juggi The Economist-elevator.jpgThe Economist-lighting.jpgRamakrishnan. Illustrator: Jimmy Leow.

The Economist-manure.jpgThe Economist-lock.jpg

The Economist-speech.jpgThe Economist-refinery.jpg

11 Comments

Gosh said:

I have never seen a more try hard campaign...David Abbott would've booted these guys down the corridor. Such pretentious art direction too. And yes, I would love to see these run some day where everyone can see them.

wtf said:

Lovely art direction. but not sure what it all means. 'Box cutters' immediately made me think of 9/11 though, which I hope was not their intention.

Errr said:

Am I missing the plot? Does it mean that before The Economist was a magazine, it was all these businesses? And how would I know these ads were meant for The Economist magazine if their logo isn't there? I'm confused.

Marc said:

Lovely campaign, lads.

Albert Scamus said:

The biggest flaw of this campaign is that it assumes the consumer has seen all the great Economist advertising done before. Anyone who hasn't will be scratching their heads going....what the??? For the consumer, this is obscure, confusing and irrelevant. But it's not really for consumers it it lads?

It's different for awards judges. They would have seen most of the old Economist ads so they might just think this is the hottest ad campaign ever since it's 'refreshing and different'.

Canceling my subscription next year. said:

What a load of codswallop!

R said:

I didn't mind it:

Shedding light.
Removing the crap.
Unlocking the mind.
Elevated intelligence.

Come on guys, it's just a bit of fun...

Razorblade said:

Besides, the root idea that the old world still rules is so ineffective these days, when start-up, next-gen, out-of-the-box innovation rules.

This makes me think: Been here since 1843? Then, why haven't you done something yet?

very trumpety, even if I want to like it for its old world charm.

One Pound Fish said:

If I were the economist, I would sue them for dragging my name down with this nonsense.

Steve Elrick said:

Oops...actually really 'like' Climbing, Elevator and Refinery.
Preaching to the converted perhaps, but why not make the readers feel good and superior about 'emselves

Mary said:

That's pretty darn brilliant steve...did you come to that conclusion after looking at David Abbott's 50 ad Economist print campaign?

About Campaign Brief Asia

A blog for advertising creatives in Asia. To pass on news or advertise on the CB Asia blog, or to subscribe to Campaign Brief Asia or Campaign Brief Australia/NZ magazines, or The Work 09 Annual, email: Kim or Michael

Latest jobs

Retrieving latest jobs

House rules for commenting

Here are the ground rules for posting comments on stories: This site is a moderated blog. Comments that are seen to be more abusive than witty and/or constructive will not be posted. Obviously, we do not allow 'hate speech' or comments that are seen as a personal attack, defamatory, degrading or prejudicial to an individual or company. Overly abusive language also adds nothing to any discussion and will not be published. On occasions we will be asking people to contribute work, opinions and views on various topics - you are free to disagree, so long as you observe the above rules and remain constructive.